Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
What are some of the most common mistakes and misconceptions that newcomers have about OTO (Ordo Templi Orientis)?
1) Thinking that OTO is an occult society that teaches occultism.
SOLUTION: Realize that it’s not. OTO is a fraternal order that teaches how to live in accordance with the Law of Thelema, with a strong ecclesiastical arm to administer sacraments in accordance with the New Aeon’s Law of Liberty. We are here to establish the Law of Thelema in the world, and to spread its message, not to yell mispronounced Hebrew at the walls.
2) Expecting that all OTO members are High Adepts that conform with your distorted notion of ‘how an Adept should act’.
SOLUTION: Realize that OTO is made up of human beings who are living, thriving, shitting, fucking, and making mistakes like the rest of us. We are just doing it together, to try to build something. Care to help serve?
3) Thinking that taking an OTO degree somehow makes you a better person than someone of a lower degree or someone not in OTO.
SOLUTION: Realize that the Work is your own and the initiations are guidance, and that your smarminess actually, if anything, makes you a worse person. If you actually learned the lessons you wouldn’t be wasting your time comparing your dick length to others and you’d be trying to go and do your Will.
4) Expecting that joining the OTO means you get free access to sex orgies, or free access to touch anyone without their consent.
SOLUTION: Grow up and be an adult, and realize that both Thelema and general adult human society agrees that you need consent before engaging in such things.
5) Expecting OTO to hand you all the Real Secrets™ on a platter so you can do absolutely no work.
SOLUTION: Realize that you get out of OTO what you put into it, and that the real Karma Yoga of OTO is service to the Order.
Love is the law, love under will.