Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
Aleister Crowley had a deep respect from Madame Helena Petrovna Blavatsky who founded the Theosophical Society in 1875, the year of Crowley’s birth. In Crowley’s commentary to “The Voice of the Silence,” he gave Blavatsky the grade of 8=3 or Magister Templi in the A.’.A.’., which is extremely high praise. That being said, Crowley was not entirely fond of the Theosophical movement itself, especially the Theosophists who seems to be allied with the movement. Here is a selection of quotations from Aleister Crowley on Theosophists:
- “There is a highly popular school of ‘occultists’ which is 99% an escape-mechanism.” –Magick Without Tears, ch.71 [link]
- “A very great many elementals are to be found in human form today; they are nearly always women, or such men as are not men. Such beings are imitative, irresponsible, always being shocked, without any standard of truth, although often extremely logical; criminal without a sense of right and wrong, and as shameless as they are prudish. Truth of any kind frightens them. They are usually Christian Scientists, Spiritualists, Theosophists, or what not.” -“The Voice of the Silence” [link]
“Bhikkhu Ananda Metteyya once remarked that Theosophists were rather absurd to call themselves Buddhists, as the Buddhist had no Soul, and the Theosophist, not even content with having one, insisted on possessing seven different kinds.” -“The Voice of the Silence” [link]
- “Charity and love are here used in their technical sense, Agapé. “Love is the law, love under will.” Both Agapé and Thelema (“will”) add to 93, which identifies them qabalistically. This love is not a sloppy feeling of maudlin sentimental kindness. The majority of people of the Christian Science, Theosophical, New Thought type, think that a lot of flabby thoughts, sending out streams of love in the Six Quarters, and so on, will help them. It won’t. Love is a pure flame, as swift and deadly as the lightning. This is the kind of love that the Student needs.” -“The Voice of the Silence” [link]
- “In fact, one who is helping humanity is constantly in need of a wash and brush-up from time to time. There is nothing quite so contaminating as humanity, especially Theosophists, as Mme. Blavatsky herself discovered.” -“The Voice of the Silence” [link]
- “‘Theosophist.’ A person who talks about Yoga, and does no work.” -Glossary in Liber ABA, “Part 1: Mysticism” [link]
Love is the law, love under will.